Friday, June 21, 2013

Cloth Wipes Tutorial


After more than a year of cloth diapering, I found myself about to run out of disposable wipes. I have been reading on a lot of cloth diaper sewing boards lately about moms using cloth wipes. I was hesitant to try them, but finally gave it a try. I have read about using anything from washcloths to cut up receiving blankets. Because I am having so much fun sewing, I decided I would buy some cute fabric and make my own! I bought some flannel as well as terry cloth. I wanted to make some with 2 layers of flannel, some with 1 layer of flannel, and a few with 1 layer of terry cloth and 1 layer of flannel. I made my wipes 8in x 8in because they fit nicely in a wipes container when folded in half. I didn't get all 8 inch squares because of the fabric cut, so some are smaller. The result? I LOVE cloth wipes! I wish I made the switch much sooner, as diaper changes are so much easier now! I don't have to worry about sorting wipes for the trash from my cloth diapers for the pail. My husband even approves :) 

Steps 

Wash and dry your fabric. It is best to wash in hot water since the wipes will be washed with your diapers.



Iron your fabric. Even though you are just making wipes, it will be much easier to get a good clean cut if your fabric is ironed straight.

Cut your fabric into 8 inch squares, and pin right sides together. 


Sew all sides, leaving an opening in the middle of one side about 3 inches open so you can turn it right side out. 


Trim around corners to keep them looking neater and turn right side out.


Press the seams and fold the edges of the open end in to give it a finished look.


Take the wipe back to your machine and do a top stitch close to the edge to close the hole, and keep the shape of your wipe.


You're all done!


There are many methods to using cloth wipes. Some people keep a spray or peri bottle near their changing table and wet the wipes as needed, while some keep them wet in a container or wipe warmer. There are also many recipes for the wipes solution. I started off using just water, then adding a little bit of baby soap or essential oils, but found that my favorite recipes is warm water and coconut oil. It soothes my son's skin and cleans really well. I also noticed that poop is easier to wipe off him when he has a light layer of the coconut oil. 


My Cloth Wipes Solution Recipe

2 cups warm water
1 tsp coconut oil

Dissolve the coconut oil in the water and pour on top of your wipes that are already sitting in the warmer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment