Friday, November 8, 2013

Changing Pad Tutorial



I bought my daughter’s changing table at a second hand store at an awesome price. I did not come with the changing pad, so I put a standard contoured pad on my baby registry. I did not measure the table, as I figures any old pad would fit…. Wrong! I got my changing pad at my baby shower, and came home learning it was too long for my table. I brought it back to Babies R Us, but they did not have any that would fit my 29in x 19in table.  I headed online to try and find one that would fit. I could not find one anywhere, but found that I could order a custom pad for around $45. I decided to see if I could get materials to make one, and let buying the custom pad be my plan B. Luckily, I was able to make one myself, and used the store credit from the returned pad towards other baby items.

What you will need:

Outdoor cushion forms (whatever size you need). I bought two 15in x 17in forms so it is a tad narrow for my table, but it doesn’t matter.
Waterproof fabric of some kind (vinyl, PUL… I’m sure there are more. I used PUL because I have a lot)
Scrap of fabric
Scissors or rotary cutter
Sewing machine
Thread

 Instructions:

Cut your cushions (if you need to) to the right size of your table. Put your cushions next to each other, placing your fabric scrap on top of the seam. You are going to sew the fabric to each cushion to keep it together. If you would like to use a different method of connecting the cushions, by all means do it. I kept going over it in my head, when my mom recommended doing it this way. Since I did NOT take pictures, here is a diagram of what I am talking about.


Sew the fabric to each piece of foam, keeping them as close together as possible. Take your time because it is a pain to get it through your sewing machine. You could do fabric on both sides if you want, but I just did one side. Now, it is not the pretties. I contemplated adding a layer of batting before sewing on the cover, but am thankful my lovely mother reminded me that I would be wiping a butt on this thing and it does not matter :)

Now, measure your waterproof fabric to sew on a tight fitting cover, keeping in mind your seam allowance. This cover is going to stay on the cushion permanently. I made mine like a pillowcase, folding one long piece over itself (waterproof sides in) and sewing up the two long sides. Flip the fabric right side out (waterproof side out) and slide your cushion in. It should be snug but too tight. Fold the raw edges in to give the open end a finished look, and sew as closely to the cushion as you can to close it.

Now you have your pad! You can stop here if you would like, or make cute covers for it. Because you used waterproof fabric, you can just wipe it off if it gets messy during a diaper chance. 





No comments:

Post a Comment